At Pilot Mountain Marketing, we’re here to help you build and maintain your WordPress website. Whether your website is a personal blog or your business’s website, we know how frustrating it can be to learn the ins and outs of WordPress. We offer elegant web design, full website analytics, and digital advertisement placement to get your website on the right track. Our goal is to empower you and your business so that you find new levels of success.
You’re ready to get started with WordPress, so what now? Follow these easy steps to build your own website:
- Choose a WordPress plan. If you opt for WordPress.org (rather than WordPress.com), you’ll only have one plan option, which is free, but you’ll have to buy your domain, hosting provider, plugins, themes, etc. But for WordPress.com, there are five plans to choose from. Each plan charges a different fee, as there are varying types of site customization and access to marketing tools.
- Once you’ve chosen your plan, set up your domain name and hosting provider. WordPress will prompt you to do these things. Your domain name is how your potential customers find your website, whereas your hosting provider is where your website is actually stored. Think of it like this: your domain name is your home address and your hosting provider is your house. WordPress.com allows you to decide if you want a custom domain.
- After you’ve gone through the steps of setting up your domain name and hosting provider, you should install WordPress if you have not already. Answer the few questions related to the domain you want to use, plus your admin information.
- Choose your theme on WordPress. You can customize your website using any of WordPress’ many themes and templates. The default theme is rather plain, but a more customized theme will attract more customers to your site. Once you choose your unique theme, click “Install” to begin customizing. Then, you can add your own content, pages, and posts.
- Add posts and pages to your unique WordPress website. Posts are generally used for blogs and portfolios, whereas pages are static – added content that stays in the same place. To add a post to your website, go to your admin dashboard, click “Posts” and then “Add New.” You can either “Save Draft” as you’re writing, or click “Publish” so that your post is visible.
- Customize your website. Do this by visiting the “Settings” tab. Here are some tips on further customization of WordPress websites.
- Next, install plugins. Plugins are pieces of software that add functionality to your website and enhance users’ experiences on your site. There are thousands of available plugins which makes it easier for your WordPress website to do exactly what you want it to do. Here are some popular plugins available.
- Optimize your website and increase your page speed. This is a critical part of your users’ experience on your site! Visitors will move quickly to another site if your page takes too long to load. You can improve your website’s page speed by enabling browser caching.
At Pilot Mountain Marketing, we know that creating your first WordPress website can feel overwhelming because of the numerous options to customize your page. But these options are a good thing – WordPress makes it easy for you to create the perfect website for your business or your personal use. Let us help! If your business is located in Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem, NC or surrounding areas, let Pilot Mountain Marketing design a beautiful and effective website for you. We can help you maintain your WordPress website as well. Contact us today!